Despite the poor weather forecast, eleven members and two guests assembled at Wraysbury station on Sunday 26th March for a circular walk of 4.5 miles around a quiet corner of the County of Berkshire. Leaving the station car park, the group crossed the Colne Brook by a bridge and then followed it along a muddy path adjacent to a reservoir embankment with grazing sheep. We then went over a railway level crossing via our only two stiles of the day before walking alongside an expanse of water with surprisingly few signs of wildlife. Reaching the village of Hythe End, we followed a busy road for a short while before entering the National Trust Anderwycke Estate and a path down to the Thames opposite Runnymede. A sharp rain shower greeted us at this point and the going was difficult with lots of puddles and copious amounts of mud. Eventually, we left the river bank and passed within sight of the ruins of a priory founded in 1160 for Benedictine nuns. Crossing a number of fields, we reached the grade 2 listed Wraysbury parish church of St Andrews. Unfortunately, it was closed so we moved on through the village to our lunch stop at the Perseverance pub, adjacent to an old windwill converted into a family home. We sat under cover in the pub garden eating picnics as only drinks were available for our party. A quick march then took us the half-mile to the station so that we didn’t miss the hourly service back into London. An enjoyable day despite the weather!
Photos courtesy of Patricia Burbidge and Almas Jetha