Nineteen members and two guests met at Rotherhithe station on Sunday 29th January on a mild but overcast morning for a walk around the redeveloped Surrey Commercial Docks. First, we went to the Mayflower pub named after the Pilgrim Fathers ship which set off from its wharf for the New World in 1620. The ship’s captain Christopher Jones is buried in the grounds of the adjacent St Mary’s church. The next part of the walk followed the Thames Path with its new housing standing where ships once unloaded their goods into long gone warehouses. After enjoying the views of the Canary Wharf complex across the river, we stopped at the Surrey Docks City Farm where we saw sheep, pigs, donkeys and very lively goats. Shortly after we left the river to walk alongside Greenland Dock which used to service whaling ships and is now a marina. Our lunch stop was at the Moby Dick pub which overlooks the dock and provided appetising fayre, especially the bacon sandwiches! The remains of the Russia Dock which is now a woodland was our next port of call and then we climbed Stave Hill which is formed of rubble from the dock of the same name. Finally we reached a watercourse between apartment blocks which is all that remains of the Albion Dock. This took us to Canada Water station and the end of the walk. A few of our number then adjourned to a nearby Wetherspoons pub for further refreshment.
Photos courtesy of Nita Patel and Jenny Lambert