All posts by Gillian


Saturday’s walk was completed under leaden skies with little or no sign of the sun, but thankfully it remained dry.  Twenty Poly Ramblers convened at Chipstead station, most looking to walk off the excesses of the previous few days.  We walked downhill past the parade of shops in the village and passed a coffee shop /wine bar which Stuart and Lorna had already discovered.  We were invited by the owner to return for lunch or afternoon tea. Continue reading CHIPSTEAD CIRCULAR – 28 DECEMBER


Twenty two Poly Ramblers gathered at Leicester Square for a walk to whet our appetites for Christmas lunch. It was not raining for a change though it was quite chilly.  Danny had planned a walk ‘ in the footsteps of’ Karl Marx, an interesting choice in the light of the  week’s events.   Marx spent the second half of his life in London and died there in 1883. Continue reading CLUB XMAS LUNCH AND WALK – 15 DECEMBER


By the time the complete party assembled at Chorleywood station, there were 18 of us.  Although cloudy, it was a mild day and most importantly it stayed dry.  The walk first of all took us through the Chorley wood where weeks of heavy rain had turned the footpath into thick slippery mud and this was how it was for most of the walk.  In one place, there was a puddle that stretched the full width of the road, which we had to wade through.   Our route took us through the pretty medieval village of Chenies and across the front of the ancient manor, seat of the family who gave the village its name. The path then climbed out of the valley of the river Chess to a view point where we could see the undulating hills of the Chilterns.  Continue reading CHORLEYWOOD TO CHESHAM – 7 DECEMBER